Monday, October 4, 2010

End of the PJ Washington D.C. trip

Friday:
We spent most of the day at the Newsuem on Friday.  I got the chance to look at all the exhibits but found the Pulitzer photographs to be the most interesting.  I went throughout the gallery and watched a few minutes of the video Newsuem put together of some of the photographers.  I was absolutely moved by the power of these images and the abilities of the photographers in the gallery.  After going through the gallery I realized I am going to cover and see many people and hear many stories.  I found the experiences of the photographers on the video to be moving and inspiring.  The sights they saw and the moments they captured.  They became a part of history and recorded that moment in time.  The power of journalism is to become story-tellers and most importantly to become people who witness history in the making.

Later that day, we headed over to the Hawk n' Dove and got together with a group of professionals in the industry.  I noticed a trend in the conversations and also the review of my portfolio.  These people where talking to me about the industry and the passion one must have for this profession.  It moved me to talk to people one on one who are as excited about photography as I am.  The reviews of my portfolio remained constant and I still have some improving to do on my part.  A bunch of people where suggesting to me to continue my Starting Over story with my dad as a multiple story project with other people who are affected by this decline in the economy.  The project would consist of other people who are losing their job or have lost it in the past few years due to economic downturns.  All of the insights gathered at the networking dinner where very helpful and I passed out some business cards in the process!

Saturday:
I attended the One Nation Working Together rally at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C.  This is my first rally/march and I was eager to photograph it.  When I started walking around, I noticed many people seemed bored and uninterested.  It was really hard to make photographs in these situations when half of the rally isn't even caring.  I looked around at different parts of the rally and found ways of telling the story of the rally with different aspects.  I walked towards the Lincoln Memorial to get people yelling and cheering for each of the speakers.  As I moved back out towards the World War II memorial, I tried to find individuals who where doing something interesting or different groups who where interested in the rally.  All in all, it was very difficult to photograph.  Here is an image from the rally that I liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment